Building an Authentic Community of Practice

Blog

Hegemony, The Life of Money.

Reflecting on the cultural attitudes, behaviors, and expectations that shape our society is a profound exercise that sheds light on the intricacies of human interaction and societal structures. These norms influence how we perceive the world, make decisions, and engage with others, often operating at both conscious and subconscious levels.

One particular scenario that stands out is the common dynamic observed in workplaces and educational settings. Individuals often display exemplary behavior and performance in the presence of authority figures, such as bosses or teachers, driven by the desire to secure their job or impress for potential rewards like raises or promotions. However, their demeanor may shift drastically when they perceive no significant consequences, demonstrating a stark contrast in work ethic or teaching quality.

This phenomenon underscores the complex interplay between social norms, power dynamics, and personal incentives, highlighting the nuanced ways in which individuals navigate their roles within hierarchical structures.

In examining my own value system, I find that while I generally align with certain aspects of the dominant set of ideas, I also harbor beliefs and principles that challenge the prevailing hegemony. While I appreciate competitive values and may inadvertently support aspects of hegemony, I also prioritize inclusivity and empathy in my interactions. Valuing diverse perspectives, I strive to create an environment where everyone feels heard and understood, a stance that sometimes contrasts with the competitive or individualistic values that may be more prevalent in mainstream culture.

a practice that i can take to personally challenge the dominant ideas, well its mainly a new practice that i am practicing now and yes i had so much time but im starting now it is simply because this practice is quite painful it is what i call the practice of empathy which is basically reaching a point where even if one has never experienced what they experienced but to try to see it from there eyes instead of my own seeing it in that way when there is a problem that someone is facing then there is no focus on the race of the person , the sex of the person, the class of the person but there is a common problem that they face focusing on solving the problem makes it so that there is a community and that there is no focus on what the people are but more on are they willing to face the problem head on knowing that they have someone with them.