Building an Authentic Community of Practice

Blog

Intersectionality

To begin with, what does intersectionality mean? In the article it says ” It was coined in 1989 by professor Kimberlé Crenshaw to describe how race, class, gender, and other individual characteristics “intersect” with one another and overlap. ” Now that I know what it means and as well as reading the article I believe in short, a term that it means basic human rights while respecting one another no matter race, sex, and class. I think the word is complicated itself because it was founded by a colored female. Which may spark a lot of controversy. Yes, the fact that the “system” is also broken may play a part. I don’t think it’s the “system” I think it’s based on what we get taught and how we use that information. People have opinions and a lot of people wouldn’t accept my or your opinion. History plays a big part in this as I know the American History is pretty messed up but hey were not the only ones whose history is disgusting. Yet every time the future brings us surprises one way or another history gets better. One example can be baseball. Jackie Robinson was the first colored human being to break that barrier of color and non-colored in the major leagues. Over time things get to settle down and our answer is easily becoming visible. There is a saying ” learn to wait, things always fall into place.” One problem that our society does is fight for what’s right. To me fighting isn’t the answer and I don’t mean physical fighting. We all have different ideologies.