Building an Authentic Community of Practice

Blog

research process on gentrification

Before researching the process of gentrification and current-day examples, I decided to first look into the history of gentrification in the United States. Using National Geographic’s article on gentrification, I learned that gentrification has existed far as long back to the 1940s. There is also an inherently racist undertone regarding gentrification, as the process stems from anti-black housing laws that discriminate against African- Americans. I learned that real estate brokers would encourage black families to pay large amounts to move into an urban neighborhood so that white families can sell their homes for a cheaper price to leave the neighborhood. After this process, the neighborhood would be denied financial opportunities and improvements. My interest in this topic has definitely increased, especially with the new knowledge I have now. I learned that gentrification is not just an issue that mostly effects Americans, but its a pervasive issue in many other countries as well. I didn’t come across any challenges when researching this topic.

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/gentrification/